Sony Xperia S (SIM Free/Unlocked, Black) - This handset takes MicroSIM
The stylish Xperia NXT U, P and S models represent the entry-level, middle of the range and premium handsets respectively and all come with Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread (an upgrade to Android 4 Ice-Cream Sandwich (ICS) will be available in time). Each device features a minimalistic slab type design with a rounded back that makes them comfortable to hold. The full aluminium, precision crafted unibody found on the Xperia P and Xperia S models only add to the overall feel of quality and solidity and have been designed to appeal to the business user with features that may sway them from using a laptop.
Xperia™ S Key Features:
- 1.5 GHz dual core processor
- 12.1 megapixel camera with LED flash and Auto focus
- HD video recording (1080p)
- Front-facing camera (1.3 megapixel, 720p)
- 3D surround sound
- PlayStation® Certified
- 4.3”, 1280x720 pixels 16,777,216 colour TFT
- Reality display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine
- Internal phone storage: 1 to 1.5GB
- RAM: 1GB
- Flash memory: 32GB eMMC
The Sony Xperia S is more than capable of recording in full HD video and plays back beautifully with the help of Sonys Mobile BRAVIA® Engine on its visually impressive pin sharp 4.3 inch Reality Display. On top of that, you have the choice of plugging the Xperia S into your HDTV via its HDMI port so you can view your content on the BIG screen.
This PlayStation® certified smartphone features a 4.3” (720 x 1280) screen, 1.5GHz Qualcomm dual core processor, 32GB of on-board memory and a superb12 megapixel camera with backlit sensor. There's no question that this phone is more than ready for action.
Regarding the camera, a quick tap of a button takes you from standby mode to snapping a photo in little more than a second. Don't stop there if you don't want to though - you can keep on shooting to your hearts content with no delays! Don't let low light levels get in the way of a decent snap either. The Exmor R™ for mobile camera sensor will brighten up any dull day for you.
12 megapixel camera test
Ready for some hard camera facts? Try 12 megapixels. 3D sweep panorama, front-facing camera (1.3 MP 720p) and HD video recording (1080p). Sony Exmor R™ for mobile image. 16x digital zoom. We could just go on and on.
PlayStation™ certified test
Fingers itching? This PlayStation® certified smartphone is built upon the gaming expertise of Sony Computer Entertainment. Buy and download games straight from your Xperia™ S - with new titles released continuously, boredom is not an option.
Entertainment at the speed of delight test
Why wait to be entertained? Start the camera. Now shoot and save your best snaps super quick. The 1.5GHz dual core processors do everything at the speed of light. So download and play games, browse the web and watch videos, instead of watching them load.
4.3” HD Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine test
Enhanced contrast. Richer colours. Less image noise. The Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine makes the super-wide, 4.3"", LED back-lit screen sharp and crisp. And through reduced light reflection, the picture stays clear when you're outdoors too.
Dusk, dawn or just a crummy old light bulb? Sony's Exmor R™ for mobile CMOS sensor lets you capture high-quality, bright pictures and videos in poor light conditions.
Sharp chatting in HD
Chat away. Sharper than ever. Xperia™ S has a 720p front facing camera which gives a sharp image, even when you move around. It’s perfect for video calls with Google Talk™ or Skype™*.
Powered by Android
Make sure you always have the latest Android version installed. Xperia™ S is launching on Android™ platform 2.3 (Gingerbread) and will be upgraded to Android™ platform 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) during the second quarter 2012.
Connect to your TV via HDMI
Connect your Xperia™ S to your TV and cuddle up in the sofa. The HDMI connection lets you view pictures and videos from your phone on your TV screen using your TV remote control.
Sony Entertainment Network
10 million songs. Thousands of movies. From the major music labels and film studios. Enjoy it all on your Xperia™ S via the Sony Entertainment Network services Video Unlimited and Music Unlimited.
The place you call Home
More control over your media
Where’s best for you? Email top right? Music player bottom left? You decide. With four extensions to your Home screen, you’ve got plenty of space to put things where you want. Just remember to flick left or right to find them.
Exercise more control over how media files get transferred and stored. Select MTP mode to transfer files if you want to limit the risk of data corruption or select MSC mode if you want to have more control over the data storage.
Connect the quick and easy way. On the move. In cafés. At the airport. Your Xperia™ S has Wi-Fi support.
Battery performance may vary depending on network conditions and configuration, and phone usage.
| UMTS/HSPA 850/900/1900/2100
|| 8 hours 30 min
|| 420 hours
| GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
|| 7 hours 30 min
|| 450 hours
|Music listening time: 25 hours
A Standby time specification is an industry standard. The only intention is to allow comparison of different mobile phones under the same circumstances. Factors including - but not limited to - network, settings, location, movement, signal strength and cell traffic strongly effect standby power consumption. Therefore, Standby time specification comparisons of different mobile phones can only be done in a controlled laboratory environment. When using any mobile phone in real life - ie, under circumstances for which the mobile phone is intended - the actual standby time could be considerably lower and will be strongly dependent on factors as mentioned above.
= To be announced = Not applicable
CAMERA: HD video recording - 1080p
Flash / light type - LED
- Record High Definition video with a simple touch of a button.
Digital Zoom - up to 16x
- When lighting conditions are poor, your picture can still be good.
Camera - 12.1 megapixel
- Get close to your subject.
Aperture - f/2.4
- Capture and share special moments.
- The lower the f/value, the larger the lens opening (aperture) - which allows for more light to reach the image sensor.
- More light when shooting video.
Sony’s Exmor R™ for mobile CMOS sensor
- Touch the screen to set the focus area.
- Image sensor with enhanced imaging characteristics.
Send to web
- Let the camera automatically snap the shot when your subject flashes a smile.
- Catch moments with your camera and send straight to your personal web site or blog.
- Use it when taking people photos using flash.
- Avoid blurriness caused by slight hand movements.
- Have your photo tagged with information on where it was taken.
- Your phone automatically recognises up to five faces in your picture.
- Your phone automatically sets the focus on the faces in your pictures.
3D sweep panorama
- Automatic focus for optimal clarity.
MUSIC: Music tones - MP3, AAC
- Take your pictures with 3D Sweep Panorama. View them on a 3D TV or on the multi-angle 3D display.
- Use original artist recordings as ringtones.
TrackID™ music recognition
- Maximised, massive speaker sound thanks to the Sony xLOUD engine audio filter technology.
Sony Ericsson Music player
- Record a few seconds of a song and get track, artist and album information sent to your phone in seconds.
- Enjoy your favourite music sorted by artist, album and track. Shuffle and smart playlists supported.
- Download music and games to your phone.
Bluetooth™ stereo (A2DP)
- Sharp, deep and distortion-free bass.
- Music from your phone to headset over a wireless connection.
- Choose music by browsing CD album art or other images
Web browser - WebKit
Google Voice Search
- Full Internet browser with support for standard protocols, images and video.
- Use your voice to search the web or to quickly launch a call to a friend.
- Find what you’re after with the Google™ search function.
- Quick access to your favourite Web sites.
- Get apps and games - download straight to your phone.
Radio - FM radio with RDS
- Radio entertainment round the clock.
- View your favourite YouTube™ videos, or upload your own - access is easy via the YouTube™ application.
- Realtime video streaming, e.g. live cam
- Gaming gets physical - turn, swing, move your phone to control the action.
- Media content in one place for fast and easy access.
- Enjoy quality games with full color and depth.
Micro USB support
Google Maps™ - with Street View
- Connect to your PC and other devices.
Google Maps™ - for Mobile
- Find your way to your destination.
- Find your way to your destination.
- Utilise high-speed Internet at Wi-Fi™ hotspots at airports and other facilities.
USB mass storage
- PC to phone USB cable support
- Connect and move items between computer and phone.
Synchronisation with computer
- Go for a bigger screen – connect the phone to a TV, projector or other device.
Synchronisation via Google Sync
- Keep the data in your phone in sync with your computer. Connect your phone to a computer and use synchronisation software.
Synchronisation via Facebook™
- Use your Google account to synchronise the contacts in your phone.
- Match your Facebook™ friends with your phone contacts.
- GSM internet dial-up support
- Share pictures and videos on your TV using your TV remote control.
- See where your friends are - and share your own location with them.
- Connect wirelessly to other devices.
- Connect wirelessly to other Bluetooth™ devices.
3.5 mm audio jack
- Use GPS-powered location-based services.
- Share your music via the extra jack. Use any headphones with a standard-sized 3.5 mm connector.
Type & Send
Text messaging (SMS)
- Handle all your messaging straight from your home screen.
- Send text greetings anywhere in the world.
Predictive text input
- Take voice notes or record a sound clip to send in a message.
Picture messaging (MMS)
- Fast and easy text messaging.
- Colourful multimedia messaging.
- Online chat. On the move.
- Write as you would with a pen. Your handwriting becomes digital text.
- Gmail for mobile lets you send and receive e-mail wherever you are.
- Check your email inbox wherever you are.
- Say it via chat-style text messaging.
Google Talk™ - video chat
- Chat-style communication plus video call functionality thanks to the front facing camera and Google Talk™ inside.
- The phone vibrates and you can feel when a call comes in
- Let the world know how you feel and what you think - say it with a tweet.
Sony Ericsson Timescape™
- Loudspeaker suitable for using the phone as an office handsfree
- All your communication with one person in one place.
- Filter out the sounds around and make yourself heard.
Facebook inside Xperia™ version 2
- Chat-style communication with friends and family.
- Facebook status updates. Share and recommend the apps you like, and like the music you love, even direct from the FM radio.
- Stay in touch with your friends on Facebook™ through your phone.
Keyboard - Onscreen QWERTY
- Press the power off button and then 'screen capture' – and you’re ready to share your screenshot.
- Stylish moving imagery onscreen.
Reality display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine
- Intuitive navigation – just touch the screen.
- Crystal-clear colours and crisp images.
- Swipe your finger across the on-screen QWERTY keyboard.
- Switch from vertical to horizontal mode by rotating the phone. Whatever you're viewing will rotate to suit.
- Store appointment information and set reminders.
- Set a time and your phone will give a signal when the time is up.
- Create, sort and save details about things you have to do. Set reminders.
- Measure how much time anything takes.
- The information you need to keep in touch with friends and family.
- Digital notes for things you need to remember.
- Just one press to all about your friends or all the artist info you need.
- Create, add and edit events. Set up reminders and mobile notifications.
- Disable the radio receivers and transmitters in your phone so you can safely use other functions.
- Save on paper usage. The printed manual is replaced with an electronic version in the phone.
- Edit documents in popular formats.
- Full-function calculator when you need it.
- Powered by Android™ for great performance. Personalise with all the apps you need from Android Market.
What's in the Box:
- Set your phone alarm clock to ring at the time of your choice.
- Sony Xperia S Black
- Built-in battery
- Stereo portable handsfree
- Micro USB cable for charging Synchronisation and file transfer
- User documentation